Saturday, April 01, 2006

My first adventure!

Hey all! So I'm sitting at a little internet kiosk in LAX....yup, that's right, right here in the good ole' los estados unidos. I was supposed to go to Lima last night, but apparently God had different plans! When I was on my flight from San Fran to LA, the flight attendant came up to me and asked if I would mind helping another passenger wh was going to Peru an didn't speak any English find the gat. Sure, no problem. enter Manuela Manuela is a sweet elderly peruana who doen't understand a WORD or English, so I thought, hey, great chance to practice my Spanish. When I met her outside the plane, she was in a wheelchair, so they called for the disability van to come and take us to the next terminal. So we waited.....and waited...and waited for about an hour until I finally said if we didn't find someway to get there we would miss our flight. We went down to the bus and I realized at that point, a little too late, that Manuela could walk. We showed up at the gate 40 minutes before our flight and 20 minutes too late to board. Now a little background, I was going on about 2.5 hrs of sleep and those of you who know me well know that stress + lack of sleep very often equals tears....it did. But we figured it out. I helped Mauela get to her hotel, explaining to her that this is LA and someone there ould for sure speak English. Then I went to my own plush room at the Crown Plaza that was only 60 bucks thanks to my discount coupon, took a hot shower and a short nap and realized life was still good, God was still here, and I am still blessed immeasureably. I'm entertained by the fact that I've spoken mre Spanish than English in the past two days even though I'm still in the US and comforted that I'm communicating just fine (albeit with horrible grammar). The people from LAN Peru said I should have just left Manuela and caught my flight, but I know i made the right decision and if you saw the fear she had of being alone in this foreign place you wouldn't have left her either. I came on this trip to help people and find it somewhat amusing that I didn't even get to Peru before God started shwing me how to do that. Answered prayers don't aways look the way I expect. :) Ok, I have a plane to catch, ciao for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kallie! That is a crazy story! That was really sweet of you to help that woman. I am glad you are so positive about it all because I don't know if I would have been:) I am sitting here at It's a Grind with my brother. The last time I was here was probably with you, which makes it a little bit sad:( That reminds me, I have to go and say hey to Scoooott. Well, it was good to hear from you and I can't wait for the next blog. You will be in my prayers. Until next time....
Steph