Saturday, April 15, 2006

Playing Tourist

It's Semana Santa (Holy Week) here in Peru and as a result almost all the shops and businesses are closed. We also got a couple days off, so I got to play tourist a bit. On Thursday I went with Marina, Jovita, and a mess of youth group kids to visit Huaco de la Luna, some ancient ruins. We went by foot leaving from the church downtown and heading out of the city. Our fearless leader Jesus (no, not THAT Jesus) took us on a direct path to the ruins...until we hit the river....hmmm. What was supposed to be an 1-1.5hr walk turned into four. It was a beautiful day though and I had come equipped with hiking shoes, water, a hat, and sunscreen on every exposed part of my body, so I quite enjoyed the freedom of walking through sugar cane fields along the banks of the river. Once we arrived, we climbed to the top of a pyramid and had an amazing view. Then we split into groups with some going to hike up another mountain (much higher!), some wanting to sit and rest, and Marina, Jobita, and I went to visit the restored place of the Moche people, checking out the awesome murals, sacred temples, etc. Fun, Fun, Fun! When we got back I realized though I had put sunscreen on three times throughout the day, I managed to miss the spot behind me knees and the tops of my hands. As a result, I have some weird sunburns. I guess it's a good thing I'm only here for a month, or I'd probably have skin cancer by 27. Yesterday I went and visited some more ruins with Montse, Alvaro, and Ruth, then rested for most of the ofternoon, reading and watching a movie. It was a much needed break since they have me constantly on the go here! When we were at the ancient palace of the Chan Chan tribe, I came across a family from Oregon and pretty much made them talk to me since I haven't spoken English since I arrived (ok, I talked to my parents once).

No comments: