Thursday, April 06, 2006

My typical day and various other things

In El Apocento with me are Alvarro (27), his wife Montse (26), and their 3 year old Ruth. I get along great with most of the kids here, but it took her a little bit to warm up to me. She was probably thinking, "who is this crazy girl that looks like a grown up but talks funny!?" Well, not to worry, I won her over with nail polish and duck duck goose. Now she wants to play all the time. Anyway, Alvarro owns a painting company in Barcelona, so he has spent most of his time here painting the new home they are building for the children. Montse, Ruth and I go to the home the kids live in now every morning after we do a devotional time together and have breakfast. Praying seems to be one of the toughest things for me to do in Spanish because I don't feel like I'm able to express myself very well and it's a time when I really want to. I guess because I'm used to talking openly, honestly, clearly to God. Good thing he knows me heart already! Still, I usually end up switching from Spanish to English in the middle. We spend the morning in the hogar with the older kids and the really little ones. Here, primary school is in the mornings and secondary is in the afternoon. We go back to our house in the middle of the day to have lunch with Maruja, then return to the hogar to be with the younger kids in the afternoon. Most of our time there is spent helping the kids with their homework and playing a bit here and there. I love helping the younger ones because I'm able to learn a lot at the same time. Third or 4th grade is good for my Spanish :) It works out well for them too because no one in Nuevos Pasos, or really anyone I´ve met here so far speaks English. At least I'm somewhat useful! Really, I haven't actually spoken in English since I left the airport, only when I write! Crazy! You'd be shocked at how quiet I am....and how much I write...but probably not by how much I want to improve my Spanish :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kallie, We miss you here and i have showed Jenny (your replacement) how to get on your blog. Hope your experience inspires some soul searching (at a minimum) on where their lives are heading. This weekend's church service was on the lost gold coin and prodigal son fables in Luke, tought by our junior high/high school pastor. He is about your age and talks hysterically fast. I thought of you

beckalippy said...

Kal,
i did the same thing when i got to Chile, just kidna stopped talking. i thought alot in my head and learned to go a whole day without talking... scary thought huh?
Un beso tan grande para ti,