Thursday, April 20, 2006

Combies, Comedores, and Cameras

Getting around here in Peru can be quite an adventure in itself. I thank God I never have to drive in this city. You know that part in Pirates of the Carribean where they say the laws laid down in the pirate code "are more like guidelines than actual rules"?, yeah, well that's kind of what laws are like here in Peru. And we all know how often the general population listens to guidelines and recommendations :) There aren't really lanes, and you can pack as many people into a xar as you can fit (we had 13 in a taxi once!).
Today I went with Diana to learn how the comedores operate and to help out. First we took a bus (micro) to the market to buy the food we were going to prepare for lunch today. I wish I could take pictures of this to show you all, but pulling out a camera in the middle of the market is pretty much like saying, "hey come rob me," so we'll have to do without. It is a hodge podge of sight, smells, sounds, some appealing and some that make my stomach turn a bit. From there we took a moto-taxi to our next micro stop. You have to understand that the bus system, or micros here are nothing like you'd ever find in the US or Europe. They are mostly VW type vans (combies) and some privately owned buses (pronounced booses) that have no exact stops, arrival, or departure times. If the caller is doing a good job and it's a busy time of day they are packed full. Some can be shady, but most are ok. Moto-taxis are a blast. Kinda like the bike taxis you can find in some college and beach towns but a yamaha motorcycle instead of a bike. We took the micro out to Laredo to the WawaWasi Comedor. It consists of 3 rooms, a preschool, a kitchen, and a main room. Dirt floors in the latter two rooms, no electricity, no running water. It seems like everyday I realize there is a lower level of poor and I have yet to experience the bottom level. I thought the kids in the home had nothing, but no they have beds, blankets, clothes, toilets. And then I realize the kids going to the comedor get at least one good meal a day, brush their teeth, wash their hands. For many, it is their only good meal. It kinda tore at me a bit to see them devour the food put in front of them. My mom was right, hungry kids aren't picky eaters. Every one of them cleared their plate and not one of them complained about what was being served. They eat a lot of rice, beans, lentils, etc. here, with some great sauces. I've liked almost everything, but today I had to brace myself a bit when liver was dished onto my plate. It's not guinea pig or anything (yeah, that's a delicacy here), but I'm really not a fan of liver. Thank you mom for teaching me how to eat even what I don't like.
The kids were FASCINATED by my camera. In fact, it was tough to take pictures, because they kept wanting to look at the ones I'd already taken! That, or look at the viewer and see their friends. After every picture, "A ver! A ver! A ver!" (let's see!!) I managed to get a few though to show what it looks like and how stinkin adorable the kids are here. I'm not looking to sell anything, but if anyone is interested in helping them out, for like 25 bucks a month you can sponsor one of the kids and cover the costs of their food and activities. Today we made animals out of playdough. I'm learning the value of these creative activities working in the hogar. Many of the kids there, and in the comedores as well, suffer from neglect and lack of stimulation, so we try to offer not just food, but developmental activities. Trying to get them to create something of their own, not just a replica is really challenging! It'a awesome that so many people are fighting for these kids. The love of God is in this places even in it's darkest corners.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking us all with you through your day, I really felt like I was there with you and the kids. What a rich experience you are having!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Your days seem so full Kal! I'm so glad that they are getting the most out of such a valuable woman. So are you gonna have a hard time speaking english when you come back? haha, wait- you never had trouble with that before, huh. I love you and miss you, and send lots of love.
Jamie

beckalippy said...

Screw the $25 bucks a day, where do I go to adopt one of the kids? Jajaja. But really, how much do you just want to take the kids home with you in your suitcase?

Kallie said...

I do want to take them home with me Becka!! I think about you so much here because I feel like the work I'm doing has your name written all over it. Jamie I miss you too and no worries about my English...I'd be more concerned that you won't get me to shut up...oh wait, we already have that problem:) Love you guys

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for this experience you are having. Take pictures where you can, but obviously stay safe. We don't want you harmed! I can't imagine you talking too much. You have always been so quiet and shy. Miss you.