Saturday, April 15, 2006

What the heck do I do down here?

I've gotten some questions about what exactly it is that I do, so I thought I'd explain what my schedule kind of looks like, so you can get an idea. It's not really a concrete schedule and will probably be changing somewhat since they want me to get a taste of all their minstries, but at least I can tell you what I've been up to so far. I get up around 7, Maruja comes to the house to get breakfast ready at 7:30, and we usually leave by 8:30. As of today this will change because I'm now staying with the Bel's, not in the Aposento, since my Spanish family is headed back to Barcelona tonight. But anyway, Nuevos Pasos has a driver, Emiliano, and he usually picks us up and takes Montse and I to the Home. Then I spend the morning helping the older kids with their homework, teaching English, playing with the kids that are too little for school, and whatever Mamacita might need help with. Lunchtime rolls around, the older kids get ready for school (primary is in the morning here and secondary in the afternoon), while I help get the tables readys for lunch. The younger kids get home and the older kids leave and I usually help serve, then head back home for my own lunch. We then have a little time before we head back to the home to help the younger kids with their homework and play with the. Evenings tend to vary, sometimes going downtown, babysitting, church, shopping, dinner, etc. And weekends, well I rarely know what's going on :) Next week I think I'm going to be visiting the comedor's that we run in a few different neighborhoods. These are basically soup kitchen where kids can go for lunch everyday. They also teach them basic hygiene, and spread the hope that is Jesus Christ. I can't believe tomorrow is Easter. I hope you all have fun with your egg hunts, brunches, and families, and remember that Christ is Risen!!! Yay! Someone save me some Reese's eggs...serious lack of peanut butter outside the US :) Ok, well, I think I've given you enough to read for now with my three entries in one day. Gotta catch up!! Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Kallie! We look everyday for the latest on your blog, and just love hearing about your adventures in Peru! Keep up the good work, and don't forget to put sunscreen behind your knees! Love, Grammy and Poppa

Kallie said...

Thanks abuelitos!! Glad you're enjoying the blog. I'm going with jeans more than shorts lately since I apparently am not the best at putting on sunscreen! Love you both!