Friday, April 07, 2006

So I thought I was doing so good because I had thus far managed to avoid any weird illnesses, the intestinal complications I was told were inevitable, sunburn, bites, rashes, etc. Yesterday I got fried and eaten alive. The sun here is so strong that I was outside for like 10 minutes and my neck and chest are SO red. All I did was walk from the children's home to the preschool to pick up kids. Que fuerte! It doesn't really rain here but it sprinkled a bit yesterday and the misquitos came out to play. Yup, so I have lots of bites too! Oh well, at least it's not food poisoning :) It got me thinking though, I really am never outside here for more than a couple minutes. Americans and Europeans are targets for robbery is a country as poor as this, so we take a lot of extra precautions. Doors are always locked, we rarely walk places, and we're always together (so you don't have to worry mom!). Still, I can't imagine living in a place like this for an extended period of time. It definitely makes me appreciate the freedom I have in the US. And no matter how long I am here, I will never blend. Yesterday, I went with Mama Meche and Montse to the store and EVERYONE on the street actually left their houses to come out and stare at me. Makes me never want to be famous. That much attention is kind of unnerving. Maruja tried to tell me it's because I'm so pretty, but I know they've never seen a woman even close to my height. I have to find a pic of Wally and my dad and I :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kallie!!

It's so good to hear you are doing well, I'm glad your not lonely, but i miss you so much not being able to talk to you! Sorry about all those bug bites- I'm sure you hade them way worse than i got them in mexico- since you have much softer, sweeter skin. You've only been gone for a little while, but not being able to talk on the phone makes me miss you so much!

Things are going well here in SLO. I'm nearing the end of the internship but i am having lots of fun with the kids in the district. I get to talk to kids and teach them too- but not in spanish. God gifted you so much with language and a desire to travel! I can't wait to see what he leads you too next. Big things Kal- you're going to do BIG things for this world!

Jon and I are praying for you and loving you!

Adios senorita,

Your sis, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Nah, I vote with Maruja, it is because you are so pretty, I am completely unbiased. I am happy you are learning and loving so much, and that you are staying safe!

Your loving Momma

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, i am really happy you are in my country ( Peru) but now i am living in Barcelona, maybe we can talk someday in spanish/english....

Anonymous said...

Kallie,
It is so good to hear you are doing so well. I miss you so much. I also agree with your mom and Maruja that they were looking at you because you are so pretty:) There is nothing new with me. I find out about the internship in about a week! I will be letting you know about that. Anyway, I am at work so I had better get back to that. Can't wait to hear from you soon!
Steph

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.