Tuesday, April 04, 2006

So much to say..

I hardly know where to begin since I have so much I want to say and really not that much time to write. Well, first off a little bit about the situation I´m staying in and what I´m doing. The apartment/house I'm living in is called "El Aposento" and from what I can gather, I think it means "The Upper Room", in reference to where Jesus ate the Last Supper with the Apostles. I have my own room and it's quite nice...very simple. Honestly though, I feel like I have so much. When I was packing to come here, I thought I did a pretty decent job at keeping it light and not taking too much. I brought one medium sized suitcase and my backpack. After touring around the city a bit yesterday, and visiting some of the places Nuevos Pasos works, I realize that I have more in my one suitcase worth of stuff than many of the people here will ever have. At the same time, I don´t think I have ever encountered such selfless love and hospitalisty as I am experiencing here among los peruanos. Staying with me in el aposento is a young couple from Barcelona and their 3 year old daughter. And though we all come to serve here, we feel like we are the ones constantly being cared for. Maruja, one of the volunteers for Nuevos Pasos is amazing. She comes to our house every morning at 7:30 to make us breakfast and clean everything. Then stays to prepare lunch, and returns later for dinner. It is unreal! And we all thought we were going to lose weight while we are here, but at this rate we'll leave gorditos! We're trying not to feel bad since she says it's her joy to serve us when we are here helping the children, but still!! And the children here are wonderful. They are all blown away by my height (like everyone here) and ask me lots of questions. I am kind of a spectacle. At home I'm tall but here I'm gynormous. I have yet to meet anyone in this country who is my height. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in "El Hogar" the house for kids, helping them with their English and doing whatever else they are of me. The number and organzation of the ministries here is impressive. God is doing amazing things through these people to save the children of this country. If you are looking for an organization to support financially, let me tell you, I've found one for you. Ok, I better get going since we're heading back to the hogar soon. It's been a little tough being the only English speaker because I feel a bit on the outside, but I'm able to communicate ok. I understand most of what is being said if I concentrate, but if I drift or lose my focus, I really have no idea what's going on :) USually that happens toward the end of the day because I get so tired from thinking so much! Ok, tengo que irme! Love and hugs to you all...

No comments: