Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Creature of Habit

Most of the time I don't really think of my life as being ruled by routine. I'm always changing places, changing activities, making new friends, reuniting with old ones, working weird hours, etc. and lately I don't feel like I have any semblance of routine in my day to day activity at all. But really I do. And the fact of the matter is, I find comfort in the little routines that offer some level of normalcy to my ever-changing life.
Today I decided to go hit up some garage sales to try and get a few things we're lacking here in the apartment. In typical Kallie fashion I had some trouble convincing myself to get up an at'em and slept in later than planned. Thus, I decided to just throw some clothes on and head out and shower and eat something when I got back home. My trip was a success. I go to check out some more of the neighborhood, found some great buys and got back to the apartment around 11. And it's been a relaxing, chill kinda day, but my routine that I didn't even know existed is admittedly a bit off. I had breakfast at 11, then read one of my nursing textbooks until I decided it was time to take a shower (I love legitimate procrastination). It was the shower that really got me thinking about this whole routine thing. I know I have a shower routine because whenever I change up the order, I usually forget something. Today, I got distracted by the way the water tempertaure was scalding hot and failing to adjust and forgot to wash my hair. Do other people do this? I wouldn't say it happens very often, but when it does I can blame it on the changing up of the routine. Luckily I'm hanging around the house this afternoon, so I just hopped back in when I realized and again appreciated the loveliness of my exceptionally tall showerhead. But mostly I got to thinking about the little habits, patterns, and orders that bring an impulsive, feet first girl comfort in new circumstances...like the fact that I first wash my hair, then my face, etc....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Kallie. I'll check out your webpage for Peru pictures. Alex just got home from D.C. with 300 pictures. Some of hers look like yours.