Friday, January 19, 2007

A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down!...


Wanted: A Nanny for Two Adorable Children
If you want this choice position, have a cheery disposition, rosy cheeks, no warts, play games, all sorts. You must be kind, you must be witty, very sweet, and fairly pretty. Take us on outings, bring us treats, sing songs, bring sweets. Never be cross or cruel, never give us Castor oil or gruel. Love us as a son and daughter, and never smell of barley water. If you won't scold and dominate us we will never give you cause to hate us. We won't hide your spectacles so you can't see, put toads in your bed, or pepper in your tea. Hurry nanny, many thanks, sincerely, Jane and Michael Banks (head nod!)....is it weird that I pulled this out of my head after so many years?

I started a new job yesterday and am quite happy about the decision. I've begun to nanny for delightful 9 year old girl on the Main Line. It's been awhile since I've babysat on any consistent basis and I was struck again with a bit of awe as I was paid for playing with sweet well-behaved girls. That, and I left feeling a strong affinity to Mary Poppins. I haven't gotten a hat with fruit on it or started jumping in and out of chalk pictures, but yes, I'm feeling somewhat akin to my favorite childhood character. I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's because the family I'm nannying for is British. They offer me tea and tell me it's fine to "ring" them at work if necessary. Or maybe it's because my lovely charge told me about others who have watched her who are boring and refuse to play. Maybe because her friend's live-in nanny brought her over for a play date and I felt more like a "nanny" myself than a babysitter. Or maybe it's because the kids and I had a blast playing hide and go seek and even incorporated some picking up and singing into our games. Likely the combination of all of the above. Whatever the reason, it was a good day and I'm happy with the re-entrance of bubbly little girls into my life.
Along with starting a new job, I've also started a new semester. It's not bad to be back in school, but it definitely is different. Sometime during our month off something changed. Graduation no longer feels far off and people are starting to look toward life after we finish. Job Shadows, interviews, and for some, thoughts of moves are on the mind. Our class, which has done everything together since we began last May has been split up for classes for the first time as well. The feeling of it all reminds me of my last year of college. Everyone is still around, but much less around. People are still hanging out, but there is more focus on work, finishing well, and moving on. I can't complain because I am definitely among them. And I don't necessarily see it as bad, but it is change, which of course brings challenges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.