Saturday, November 11, 2006

10 Ways I Know I'm a Nursing Student

I've been thinking lately about how subcultures can become as much a part of us as we become of them. Sometimes consciously, but more often not, I find myself adapting the ways I speak, think, and act to the subculture I am immersed in. The extent to which this happens varies, but it's always interesting to step back and see the ways I have been changed. My most recent cultural immersion has been into the world of of a Villanova nursing student. Here are a few of the things that have made me aware I have fully embraced this role:
  1. I am fully comfortable talking about whatever bodily function you want to throw at me (and likely have already had to clean it up)
  2. I can't help but assess the gait of people walking in front of me and mentally note anything outside of normal limits.
  3. I ask people to tell me about their feelings and will often tell you about my own on a scale of 1 to 10.
  4. I think of Villanova as one very old building (St. Mary's---where all of my classes are) and forget that it's actually a large, beautiful campus
  5. I speak in nursing diagnoses: " blah blah blah related to dooby doo as evidenced by this, that and the other thing"
  6. Every time I go to the bathroom I have a moment of appreciation that I get to do it by myself and no one needs to come in to measure it.
  7. I was really excited when my roommate had surgery and asked for my help in assessing her drainage and swelling....on her butt (and by the fact that she unabashedly asked me to do this can you tell she's a nursing student!?!)
  8. I think it's fun to give shots
  9. I wear ugly white shoes because they're comfortable
  10. Every time I stand up too fast and get lightheaded (which usually happens at least once a day) all of my friends yell, "ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION!!

No comments: